Shred Academy
Shred AcademyContactHome
Guitar lessons, tools, DVDs, downloads, and more Artists
Instructional Guitar Media
Shred Academy Shred Academy Guitar lessons, tools, DVDs, downloads, and more
Shred Academy
Shred AcademyShred Academy

Shred Academy Board: Dimebag Darrell pickups? - Shred Academy Board

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dimebag Darrell pickups?

#1 User is offline   Demoness 

  • Shredite
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 25-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Heavy/Thrash Metal

Posted 20 September 2007 - 05:44 PM

I feel like i'm spamming this forum, making more topics than the general community. This should be my last for a while.

It was too hard for me to find which pickups he used and how he placed them. My best shot was viewing pictures of his guitar and trying to figure out what they were from there. Wikipedia stated he didn't use the Dimebuckers although he did co-design them, I thought he did (and still partially do).

But even if he did, his guitars don't just have one pickup. So what did he use for the neck then? Anyone that has knowlege on this it'd help a bunch.

EDIT: I understand Dimebag used pickups differantly earlier on than later, I am wondering which pickups he used just before he died and how he used them.
0

#2 User is offline   fred_DeShred 

  • Shred Disciple
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 33
  • Joined: 29-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Trondheim, Norway
  • Interests:Guitar, watching movies, drink beer and more guitar.

Posted 24 September 2007 - 12:25 PM

first of all, please add more posts...this forum is almost dead...hehe

this answer is qouted from Wikipedia:
Seymour Duncan manufactures a signature pickup co-designed by Dime, called the Dimebucker. Dimebag endorsed Seymour Duncan, but continued to use Bill Lawrence pickups in most of his personal guitars.
i guess he maybe used the same pickup in neck and bridge? i'm not shure.

hope this helped... :)
0

#3 User is offline   FretDance 

  • Shredder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 10-May 07
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Teaching guitar, HR-management and consultancy, any worthwhile reading, music or experiences. And of course my Flaxwood guitars! (www.flaxwood.com)

Posted 24 September 2007 - 08:29 PM

View PostDemoness, on Sep 20 2007, 07:44 PM, said:

I feel like i'm spamming this forum, making more topics than the general community. This should be my last for a while.

It was too hard for me to find which pickups he used and how he placed them. My best shot was viewing pictures of his guitar and trying to figure out what they were from there. Wikipedia stated he didn't use the Dimebuckers although he did co-design them, I thought he did (and still partially do).

But even if he did, his guitars don't just have one pickup. So what did he use for the neck then? Anyone that has knowlege on this it'd help a bunch.

EDIT: I understand Dimebag used pickups differantly earlier on than later, I am wondering which pickups he used just before he died and how he used them.



Important to remember here, is that the Bill LAwrence pickups used are not the Bill LAwrence USA manufactured by Steve Mac, but the original Bill Lawrence at www.billlawrence.com I have personally bought well over 20 pickups from them over the years, and they are simply amazing, and works for almost any style thanx to their clean tone and superb separation. This was also the pickup used by Nuno on the early Extreme albums.

The models used were the L500XL in bridge position and the L500R in neck (known as K500 back in the day). Both in chrome covers (adds high end and clarity).
-Richard Lundmark-

http://www.myspace.com/fretdance
http://www.youtube.com/fretdance
Sponsored by Flaxwood - Fine electric guitars. http://www.flaxwood.com
Sponsored by LightPick. http://www.thelightpick.com
0

#4 User is offline   Demoness 

  • Shredite
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 25-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Heavy/Thrash Metal

Posted 26 September 2007 - 01:28 AM

Thanks guys, on an un-related note does anyone know about installing a floyd rose? I noticed Dime's flage has one and i'm wondering how the fuck he got it on there http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I-9YkiipTVs

That is taking out the tailpeice and such then replacing it when the tremelo http://www.route1gui...mg/dimoflag.JPG
0

#5 User is offline   FretDance 

  • Shredder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 92
  • Joined: 10-May 07
  • Location:Sweden
  • Interests:Teaching guitar, HR-management and consultancy, any worthwhile reading, music or experiences. And of course my Flaxwood guitars! (www.flaxwood.com)

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:00 PM

View PostDemoness, on Sep 26 2007, 03:28 AM, said:

Thanks guys, on an un-related note does anyone know about installing a floyd rose? I noticed Dime's flage has one and i'm wondering how the fuck he got it on there http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I-9YkiipTVs

That is taking out the tailpeice and such then replacing it when the tremelo http://www.route1gui...mg/dimoflag.JPG


Most likely it was custom made for him that way. Options like hardtail or whammy is just a matter of routing the body before paint. He could have had his models any way he wanted them so... As for you doing that on a hardtail, would require some very skilled work by a professional luthier, not to mess upp the paintjob.
-Richard Lundmark-

http://www.myspace.com/fretdance
http://www.youtube.com/fretdance
Sponsored by Flaxwood - Fine electric guitars. http://www.flaxwood.com
Sponsored by LightPick. http://www.thelightpick.com
0

#6 User is offline   Demoness 

  • Shredite
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 14
  • Joined: 25-August 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:USA
  • Interests:Heavy/Thrash Metal

Posted 26 September 2007 - 10:43 PM

View PostFretDance, on Sep 26 2007, 07:00 AM, said:

Most likely it was custom made for him that way. Options like hardtail or whammy is just a matter of routing the body before paint. He could have had his models any way he wanted them so... As for you doing that on a hardtail, would require some very skilled work by a professional luthier, not to mess upp the paintjob.

Yeah I was worried about that. I read up somewhere about getting it professionally routed for around $300, which means buying the floyd rose and adding $300 to that cost. The damned thing is going to cost more than the guitar itself haha.

I'd heard about when Dime met Dean and he saw the hole in the back of Dime's guitar from him putting in a floyd rose. My guitar means too much to me, I don't think I could risk fucking it up in any way. Concering the professional luthier however, would Guitar Center be able to do it by any chance?
0

#7 User is offline   sherdder5393 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 01-August 08

Posted 01 August 2008 - 12:40 AM

i was looking at pictures of dimebag playing his either his dimeslime or rebel guitar and their was definitely a dimebucker in the bride posistion
0

#8 User is offline   Axeslinger 

  • Shredder
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 100
  • Joined: 13-May 08
  • Location:North Carolina

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:33 PM

Dime stated in an old GW interview his guitar tech would route out the body to add tremolos back then, this of course being before Dean starting making him guitars to his preferences.
"I might only play three different chords, but I know all six." - Angus Young
0

#9 User is offline   GPK 

  • Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 23-August 08

Posted 23 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

View PostFretDance, on Sep 24 2007, 04:29 PM, said:

Important to remember here, is that the Bill LAwrence pickups used are not the Bill LAwrence USA manufactured by Steve Mac, but the original Bill Lawrence at www.billlawrence.com I have personally bought well over 20 pickups from them over the years, and they are simply amazing, and works for almost any style thanx to their clean tone and superb separation. This was also the pickup used by Nuno on the early Extreme albums.

The models used were the L500XL in bridge position and the L500R in neck (known as K500 back in the day). Both in chrome covers (adds high end and clarity).


Are you aware that on the BillLawrenceUSA site they have a video of dime taking questions from people and he says himself that he uses an L500XL for the bridge and that he got them from Stewart Macdonald???
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


Backend system (LAMP) designed & maintained by Daniel Moxon