Shred Academy
Shred AcademyContactHome
Guitar lessons, tools, DVDs, downloads, and more Artists
Instructional Guitar Media
Shred Academy Shred Academy Guitar lessons, tools, DVDs, downloads, and more
Shred Academy
Shred AcademyShred Academy

Shred Academy Board: neck pickup to pair with a super distortion? - Shred Academy Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

neck pickup to pair with a super distortion?

#1 User is offline   sentient6 

• Shred 'til I'm Dead
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:00 AM

hey guys... I know I've posted questions about pickups in the past, but I'm looking for a pickup that can be paired with a super distortion in the bridge. In the neck I'm looking for something that has a jazz fusion sound maybe, and when clean, definitely a jazz sound.... any suggestions?
Heroes and rapists they all have nice faces
But who decides, who defines, who draws all the lines?

#2 User is offline   Vercingetorix 

• Shred Messiah
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Guitars, Martial Arts.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

View Postsentient6, on 05 June 2010 - 04:00 AM, said:

hey guys... I know I've posted questions about pickups in the past, but I'm looking for a pickup that can be paired with a super distortion in the bridge. In the neck I'm looking for something that has a jazz fusion sound maybe, and when clean, definitely a jazz sound.... any suggestions?

I guess if I were looking for as jazz type pickup this is what I would start looking at:

• the DiMarzio Al Di Meola pickup (well he's one of the best)
  • Fender Jeff Beck pickups (used by Alex Skolnick in his Jazz trio)
  • Seymour Duncan Sh-1 '59
  • Seymour Duncan "Jazz" pickup and their variants

I would also be looking at the pickups that Guthie Govan uses/used, atm he uses some sort of pickup produced by Suhr, the same makers of his signature guitar. But I would perhaps be looking at what pickups he used to uses b4 his signature model was produced - I have a tendency to distrust the makers of signature guitars.

In most cases you'll find that they produce the signature guitar with a model of the pickup and before long the artist changes it to something they really prefer. For instance, I don't think Steve Vai ever uses his "Breed" pickup or that Joe Satriani use his "Mo Joe" both made by DiMarzio.

Anyway, that my 2 cents :P.
I don't work here. I'm a consultant…

#3 User is offline   sentient6 

• Shred 'til I'm Dead
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

View PostVercingetorix, on 05 June 2010 - 05:34 AM, said:

I guess if I were looking for as jazz type pickup this is what I would start looking at:

• the DiMarzio Al Di Meola pickup (well he's one of the best)
  • Fender Jeff Beck pickups (used by Alex Skolnick in his Jazz trio)
  • Seymour Duncan Sh-1 '59
  • Seymour Duncan "Jazz" pickup and their variants

I would also be looking at the pickups that Guthie Govan uses/used, atm he uses some sort of pickup produced by Suhr, the same makers of his signature guitar. But I would perhaps be looking at what pickups he used to uses b4 his signature model was produced - I have a tendency to distrust the makers of signature guitars.

In most cases you'll find that they produce the signature guitar with a model of the pickup and before long the artist changes it to something they really prefer. For instance, I don't think Steve Vai ever uses his "Breed" pickup or that Joe Satriani use his "Mo Joe" both made by DiMarzio.

Anyway, that my 2 cents :P.

hahah I'm with you on the signature pickups. I will check those out though man, thanks alot for the advice. I was also looking at some other dimarzio ones, the tone zone, and a pal of mine said to look at low output pickups for the neck to pair with the super distortion.. so an air classic would also be a good option. I'll check em all out and see what I think XD.
Heroes and rapists they all have nice faces
But who decides, who defines, who draws all the lines?

#4 User is offline   Vercingetorix 

• Shred Messiah
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Guitars, Martial Arts.

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

View Postsentient6, on 06 June 2010 - 12:19 PM, said:

hahah I'm with you on the signature pickups. I will check those out though man, thanks alot for the advice. I was also looking at some other dimarzio ones, the tone zone, and a pal of mine said to look at low output pickups for the neck to pair with the super distortion.. so an air classic would also be a good option. I'll check em all out and see what I think XD.

Oh, a Tone Zone will pair up nicely with a higher output pickup but I'm not sure you would get a fusiony sound out of it - but definitely one to look at it, it would probably be the cheapest option too . A PAF Pro might also be worth a look too might be to vintage sounding though.
I don't work here. I'm a consultant…

#5 User is offline   houstonmusic 

• Pip

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

Dimarzio PAF-Joe

#6 Guest_shredacademysucksballs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:00 PM

just quit, you suck

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1